As each vintage passes this vineyard gives me the opportunity to refine my idea of elegance and finesse. This wine shows an initial bouquet of vibrant red currant and rose petal aromatics, which give way to some brooding spice and musk. Cinnamon and anise entwine with thyme and an intriguing hint of undergrowth like complexity.
The thyme, red currant and berry characters flow into the palate and infuse with a seam of bright acidity. There is subtlety with drive in the tannin structure, which shows careful use of whole bunches. From the mid palate on there is some real length in the tannins and acid, which hint at the aging potential of the wine.
This is a wine that will take time to grow and evolve and it will be a joy to watch.
5 to 10 years if cellared well.
- Hand picked on 27th April 2010 at 24.5 Brix
- 20% Whole Bunches with the balance destemmed to leave whole berries
- A small open fermenter
- 5 days of Cold soaking prior to fermentation with an 8 day ferment peaking at 32 Deg C
- A shit load of hand plunging
- Post Ferment maceration for a further 16 days for tannin development
- Basket Pressed
- Racked into 30% new and 70% two year old French oak for 14 months
- Total production – 7 barriques/350 six packs